The Curriculum Advisory Group
The Civic Media Literacy Curriculum Advisory Group is open to all CPS teachers and librarians who work with students in grades 6-12. We are especially seeking librarians, social science teachers, and literacy teachers who already incorporate media literacy into their instruction.
In response to the need for critical media literacy education in our media-dominant, disinformation-rich world, the Department of Social Science and Civic Engagement is creating the CPS Civic Media Literacy Modules. This curriculum is designed to introduce foundational ideas, anchor concepts, and decoding strategies that students can use throughout the school year, in any course, to practice and reinforce critical media literacy skills. We believe that such knowledge and skills are imperative in order for all students to become more powerful participants in their communities and our democracy.
The Civic Media Literacy Curriculum Advisory Group will be made up of classroom teachers and school librarians from across Chicago Public Schools. The purpose of the group is twofold: 1) to review and provide feedback on drafts of a CPS Civic Media Literacy curriculum as it is developed by the Department of Social Science and Civic Engagement; 2) to pilot lessons/modules from the curriculum with students and provide suggestions for revision and improvement.
Participating teachers will:
- Meet virtually with staff from the Department of Social Science and Civic Engagement once per month
- Receive access to drafts of lessons/modules for critique
- Collaborate with other educators in the district
- Pilot lessons and/or modules with their students
- Receive a monetary stipend at the end of the school year
The Curriculum Advisory Group applicant criteria:
- Interest/investment in developing civic media literacy education in the district
- Interest in leadership and engagement in teacher leadership
- Experience in planning scope and sequence of learning
- 3+ years of teaching experience
- Availability to meet virtually once per month
- Experience teaching media literacy and/or developing media literacy lessons in grades 6-12